Research Exercise 7: Aurora Leigh from a distance

“The words ‘cousin’ and ‘friend’ are constantly recurring in this poem, the last pages of which have been finished under the hospitality of your roof, my own dearest cousin and friend: –cousin and friend, in a sense of less equality and greater disinterestedness than ‘Romney’ ‘s.” Elizabeth Barrett Browning, dedication to Aurora Leigh.

/ Comments Off on Research Exercise 7: Aurora Leigh from a distance

Miriam’s Archive Contributions – Villette

/ Comments Off on Miriam’s Archive Contributions – Villette

Week 14

/ Comments Off on Week 14

Week 14

/ Comments Off on Week 14

Middlemarch Relationship Maps

A few Middlemarch relationship maps, one from Nathan Hensley’s Victorian Literature and Globalization class at Georgetown University: Here are some of the preparatory sketches from the Victorian Literature and Globalization relationship mapping project (click to see the full images, click

/ Comments Off on Middlemarch Relationship Maps

Middlemarch Relationship Maps

book notes on The Mill on the Floss

/ Comments Off on book notes on The Mill on the Floss

book notes on The Mill on the Floss

Footnotes in Reade’s Hard Cash (Sierra’s booknotes)

While reading Hard Cash, I was struck by how Reade used “paratext” as a space to extend the narrative. His footnotes range from slightly snide narrative asides to detailed references to historical events, terminology, or further reference texts. Below I’ve included

/ 5 Comments

/ 5 Comments

Outlining Process- Week 9, HARD TEAM

Some snapshots of our outlining process! Cathy is not yet back at school so we had a googledocs + Skype outlining session =)

/ One Comment

Outlining Process- Week 9, HARD TEAM

/ One Comment

Charles Reade archive visit: framing your research questions

What it would mean to develop an argument about Reade’s research as an autonomous practice, perhaps with an aesthetics or purpose if its own? The Barthes and Ngai may help with theorizing Reade’s research as an important practice of its own separate from his novels.

/ Comments Off on Charles Reade archive visit: framing your research questions

Charles Reade archive visit: theoretical and critical readings

Here’s the promised post framing our readings on Charles Reade, the novel of research, aesthetics of research, and ideas about note-taking in preparation for both our seminar meeting (which will take place during our trip) and our related visit to

/ Comments Off on Charles Reade archive visit: theoretical and critical readings

“New Ways of Reading: Histories of Surface Reading” Penn Lecture

Last evening, Sharon Marcus (of Between Women fame), Heather Love, and Steven Best gave their lecture on the history of surface reading and the contemporary state of reading, criticism, and criticism about reading. Their talk touched on many of the

/ Comments Off on “New Ways of Reading: Histories of Surface Reading” Penn Lecture

Cathy’s Drawing Notes of Reality Effect

/ Comments Off on Cathy’s Drawing Notes of Reality Effect

Cathy’s Drawing Notes of Reality Effect

Margaret Oliphant, An Autobiography

“It pleases me at this present moment, I may confess, that I seem to have found unawares an image that quite expresses what I mean — i.e., that I wrote as I read, with much the same sort of feeling. It seems to me that this is rather an original way of putting it (to disclose the privatest thought in my mind), and this gives me an absurd little sense of pleasure.”

/ Comments Off on Margaret Oliphant, An Autobiography

Margaret Oliphant, An Autobiography

Research Exercise 6: epigraph, paratext, republishing

English 111: Victorian Novel Research Seminar Research Exercise 7: Letters, Authors, Pseudonyms, Publishers, Paratexts This research exercise draws on your skills in working with Victorian periodicals, and introduces you to finding specific materials within the published edition of an author’s

/ Comments Off on Research Exercise 6: epigraph, paratext, republishing

Week 15

Looking back, summing up, opening out: what is the relation between the canon, the syllabus, the archive, and the novel?

/ Comments Off on Week 15

Week 15

/ Comments Off on Week 15

Week 14

“This metaphoric suspension [of closure in book VII] constitutes a kind of narrative suspense, an unresolved harmony that keeps “mysterious tune” with the sacramental cosmic processiveness Aurora has invoked in book 5. It also places in epic perspective the novelistic realism that ostensibly superintends the final two books.” (Tucker pg. 79)

/ Comments Off on Week 14

Week 14

/ Comments Off on Week 14

Week 13

“It is clear, I hope, that my concern with authority does not entail analysis of what lies hidden in the Orientalist text, but analysis rather of the text’s surface, its exteriority to what it describes.” (Said, Orientalism p. 20)

/ Comments Off on Week 13

Week 13

/ Comments Off on Week 13

Week 12

Paratextual material maps out the margins of Middlemarch. Divided into eight books and eighty-six chapters, and bookended by a prelude and a finale, the novel itself contains a plethora of classificatory forms and organizational schemata. Among these ordering principles, the collected epigraphs and “mottos” that preface each chapter serve as paratextual synopsis (Sierra’s seminar paper, 2).

/ Comments Off on Week 12

Week 12

/ Comments Off on Week 12

Week 10

Some have argued that Daniel Deronda IS a “silly novel,” but is The Mill on the Floss a reparative reading of “Silly Novels by Lady Novelists”?

/ Comments Off on Week 10

Week 10

/ Comments Off on Week 10

Week 9 – Reade archive visit 2

/ Comments Off on Week 9 – Reade archive visit 2

Week 9 – Reade archive visit 2

Week 12

/ Comments Off on Week 12

Week 12

/ Comments Off on Week 12

Week 13

Enjoying New Historicist Ice Cream, sent to us by seminar alum Jess Holler.

/ Comments Off on Week 13

Week 13

/ Comments Off on Week 13